Accredited Family Law Specialist
+61 8 9226 3300
Lucy is a co-director at Paterson & Dowding and her practice is focused on parenting issues. She has extensive experience in relation to both negotiated settlements and Family Court litigation with respect to child related and financial disputes. Lucy is passionate about minimising the fallout of relationship breakdowns for families, both financially and emotionally by promoting child focused decisions and behaviour.
Lucy regularly appears in both the Family Court and the Children’s Court. Her extensive experience as a family lawyer in Perth, led to her being named a pre-eminent lawyer in Parenting, Custody and Children’s Matters and a Leading Family & Divorce Lawyer by DOYLES, and her knowledge of the law means that her clients are represented by a specialist who is well equipped to assist clients’ understanding of and participation in the Family Court process and in any associated mediation. Lucy has developed her experience in these areas since starting with the firm in 1990.
Lucy has extensive experience as a mediator and has chaired many mediation conferences in relation to both parenting and financial issues, resulting in settlements. She is also a qualified Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner registered with the Attorney-General’s Department. In her capacity as a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner, Lucy is able to assist family members to resolve their dispute and develop their own child focused solutions in a confidential mediation forum.
In addition to private client work, Lucy is a highly experienced Independent Children’s Lawyer. In this role Lucy assists the Family Court in complex parenting disputes, involving a range of serious allegations including, but not limited to, family violence, physical, sexual and emotional abuse of children. Lucy performs a similar role as Child Representative in Care and Protection Matters dealt with in the Children’s Court. Lucy has undertaken extensive trial work in both capacities. She is regularly invited to speak at Legalwise Seminars.
Lucy loves her early morning group training sessions that, in turn, allows her to enjoy, guilt-free, good food and regular meet-ups with her friends and colleagues.
She treats her clients with a high degree of professionalism and fosters a close-knit community at Paterson & Dowding with her lively personality and quick-wit.
On the eve of her 30th work anniversary on 18 June 2020, we asked Lucy a few questions about her journey as a Family Lawyer in Western Australia, read Director celebrates 30 year work anniversary here
If you would like to get Lucy’s advice on a family law matter, please call 9226 3300 to make an appointment.View All Team Members
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia, 1988
- Bachelor of Jurisprudence, University of Western Australia, 1988
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of Western Australia, 1988
- Admitted to the High Court of Australia, 1992
- Independent Children's Lawyer, 1993
- Accredited Family Law Specialist, 1994
- AIFLAM Nationally Accredited Mediator, 2012
- Registered Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner, 2016
Admitted to Practice
- 23 December 1988
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Family Law Practitioners’ Association of Western Australia
- Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Member of the Review Committee, Legal Aid Western Australia
- Former Council member of the Family Law Practitioners’ Association of Western Australia
- Women Lawyers WA
- Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediator
- Resolution Institute (formerly LEADR - Association of Dispute Resolution)
- All areas of family law, with an emphasis on parenting matters
- Experience in Surrogacy and represented numerous applicant parents in relation to children with Gender Identity Disorder