Adult Child Maintenance

Has your child turned 18 years old but requires further financial support?

Under section 66L of the Family Law Act 1975, a parent, grandparent or any other person concerned with the care, welfare or development of the child may apply for maintenance for the child from a parent.

The grounds to seek adult children maintenance orders is as follows:

  • To enable the young adult to complete their education (university or other studies); or
  • Because of physical or mental disability.

The Family Court determines the amount to be paid by:

Considering the child’s:

  • subsistence needs;
  • other financial resources;
  • earning capacity;
  • child’s likelihood of success;
  • child’s course of study;
  • health prognosis

Considering both parent’s:

  • earning capacity;
  • reasonable expenses;
  • support obligations towards other dependents;
  • income forgone by having a child live with a parent.

How will the payments be made?

The Court made orders, whereby the parent and child are estranged, for the estranged parent to pay a lump sum amount to the child.  Other options for payment, is a periodic payment

Other Parenting Law Matters we offer

Why Trust Us?

Our aim is to minimise the fallout of disputes on families – both in the short term, and into the future. Our experienced lawyers have the welfare of children and families front of mind. Paterson & Dowding Lawyers work closely with clients to secure the best outcomes for families in the medium – longer term.

Our pricing is transparent and reasonable; we’re focused on timely solutions and where possible reaching agreement without having to go to Court. Make an appointment with a Paterson & Dowding Family Lawyer today.

Clients tell us that we are not just another Family Law firm. They trust us to deliver the best solution for their unique situation.

*Doyles Guide is an independently researched listing of best firms and lawyers, on the back of initial online peer-based surveys as well as extensive telephone and face to face interviews with clients, peers and relevant industry bodies.

See how we can help you

Speak to our experienced, compassionate team today

Contact Us Today

We provide compassionate advice on all Family Law matters.
Please choose your preferred location below.

Perth CBD

Mint House, Level 5, 326 Hay Street
Perth WA 6000


6/14 Reid Promenade, Joondalup
WA 6027


Suite 9 (upstairs) 21-23 Sholl Street Mandurah WA 6210

Accredited Members of